Wednesday, November 25, 2009

New Comics Day

Whoa, it's been a while!

Blackest Night
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Power Girl

An entirely predictable lineup for me, no doubt. The fact is my interest in comics has tanked in recent months, and I'm primarily sticking around to see how Blackest Night (won't) turn out-- like some vain attempt at loyalty in waiting out the finale of one's favorite soap opera even though you've long outgrown it.

There are still interesting books on the shelves and artists I'd like to follow, tho the ever-forthcoming trade collections take care of my needs more and more.

While the soon-to-be end of my weekly comics collecting days is both melancholic and not here fast enough, Blackest Night becomes an unintentionally symbolic storyline. Dead rise, heroes die, dead heroes rise, end of the universe draws nigh. It is an unending cycle that can only stop when the combined emotions of the psyche work together to overpower the dark forces behind it. Will, Fear, Hate, Love, Greed, Hope, and Compassion are all emotions I've held in my years-long affair with comic books, yet like all things the irony is that Death ultimately wins out.

BUT OH YEAH, I totally got me some Green Lantern Rings.

Post a Comment