Wednesday, March 11, 2009

New Comics Day

Green Lantern Corps
Young Liars

This is the best week of the month, just because these two books regularly ship together. As the Green Lantern Corps marches on to Blackest Night, I find myself once again needing to shout from the rooftops the comic cook insanity that is Young Liars.

Lapham has completely gone off the deep end as storyteller and is swimming like a fish. Past the first arc it appeared that not only the cast had been upended, but their perspectives as well. Now I wouldn't even know how to describe what's transpired, as seemingly the book's core premise has done a mirror-flip that leaves you ruffling through pages in disbelief, frantically trying to find a grip on the narrative. It's a good old fashioned mind fuck around every corner, but its the skill in which Lapham and his nutty cast pulls you in and sucker punches that leaves me wanting more every issue. Matter o' fact, at the counter today, the clerk said, "Oh man I can't wait to read what happens from last issue." To which I agreed, "And it's like that every issue."

Post a Comment