Monday, January 26, 2009

The New Camel Hard Pack


I walked into the local grocery, strode past the cigarette case and spied some Camel Hard Packs with their recently updated design. I made a mental note to get a pack when checking out.

The Camel Hard Pack is a classic in and of itself, and it's amazing to see the new design invoke something even more so. It may be a bit on the decorative side, but it's sharper, cleaner, with the devil's patent aura that surounds the taboo.

At the register I asked for a pack, and one of the checkers was sent to get it. But you see, the a row of new packs was sandwiched between two of the old packs. And I knew, I just knew that dude would pick one of the old ones. It was a 2 out of 3 chance after all. So I casually walked over alongside and watched as he opened the case and indeed reached for one of the old packs.

"Ah, actually, can you grab me that one," I said, pointing to the middle row.

"Oh, they're the same," he replied."

No, philistine. They most assuredly are not the same.

"If you don't mind, I'd prefer this one," I asked, to which he conceded. Back at the register the checkout lady gave me a look, the kind of look that questions why I had to personally oversee that transaction. It's just the kind of thing that I do in the name of design.

Post a Comment