Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Two Comics Day

Crisis of Crisis.

Green Lantern Corps
Young Liars

Good reads both, especially Young Liars.

But instead lets talk about what I didn't buy, Final Crisis #5.

I read it at the store, and I only feel slightly guilty about that. The thing is, it's got pieces of really cool stuff in there, beyond my previous notes of Morrison trying to fry my brain. Reading this ish, I finally got it-- and "it" doesn't matter.

DC has effectively shot themselves in the foot by having monumental "events" three or four years running. The only two that stand out to me are Rann/Thanagar War and Sinestro Corps... because they were awesome. Maybe other readers found different events to be awesome, but the point is there were alot of them. So in Final Crisis, following Both Infinite Crisis (ugh) and 52 (yawn) and dozens of tie-ins, the massive setup that Morrison is clearly eager to lay out has but a fraction of the impact it should have. Clearly having this arc with Darkseid angling towards true godhood would in other circumstances be profoundly epic. But I'm afraid I'm all epic-ed out.

I have to admit that I've been reading comics for too long, I know how it's all going to pan out anyways. The Crisis can be as Final with a capital F as it wants, but we all know it's nearly the opposite. While I as both an avid reader of comics and everything else desperately wish comics would truly grow and evolve its respective universes and foundations, it's not going to happen. There will be no new "age" golden or otherwise because the marketeers just don't have the balls anymore. There's too much at stake as it were, what with property rights, multimedia extensions, and overall branding issues. You know, the money.

And that is why comics as an industry must fail for it to truly succeed as a creative endeavor. Only when there is nothing at stake can real risks be taken. Other companies are doing this in some respects, but are still too young to hit that sweet spot where all the creative cylinders are firing and the audience is there. Some are on the cusp, others unfortunately didn't last long enough to get there. The Big Two are far too old and bloated, past what made them great and clinging to that past in order to stay afloat. The world of on-line readership is the new frontier, but the proper model and execution has not been found.

Often I speak to friends of how I long for print to die. Not for some futurist vision of a paperless society, not for the promotion of technology in the information age, no sir. Out of love. My love for print is selfish, only in death can it be truly appreciated. The best of what comics has to offer is entrenched in print, may its end be swift and soon.

Post a Comment