Wednesday, July 16, 2008

No Comics Day

No floppies for me this week, so I bought a couple of trades (which I'll review later).

In the meantime I can't stop gawking at New York Four from last week. Brian Wood delivers a crazy cool New York drama as I pleasantly hoped for. In some ways it goes exactly where you think it does and that's what makes it so fun. But outside the plot there's lots of little New York nuance that can only come from someone who truly loves the city. More, please!!

But... Ryan Kelly. Hot damn. I dig his work on Local (even tho the paper is too glossy btw) and look forward to a nice collected edition. But here the man is on fire. You will get lost in his brushwork and manic halftones, and all those beautiful, beautiful faces. I swear I've never seen so many cute girls wearing shortsleeves over longsleeves :-) Kelly hits the page with mad talent and the ever-so-elusive accessibility that I find so much love in the likes of Becky Cloonan, Philip Bond, Kristian, and Steve Rolston. After New York Four Kelly certainly climbs to the top of that list.

New York Four-- Check it out already!!!

Post a Comment