Wednesday, June 25, 2008

New Comics Day

Would you like to know about the books I purchased this week? That's good, because I'm going to tell you.

New Avengers
What if this was the Fantastic Four?
Fantastic Four
Green Lantern
Umbrella Academy TBP

Umbrella Academy is the score of the week. I knew this would be a book I'd enjoy collected and this does look to be the case. It's a keen package and the art is even keener. Perfectly okay by me of Dark Horse stopped the floppies and just made these. A book at the level of quality of Umbrella Academy certainly would not need to "sell" most readers with the opening monthly installments.

New Avengers hops back with Jim Cheung drawing again and it is niiiice. And the ish has the "real" origin of Spider Woman! A intriguing and compelling tale with flashbacks that cover years of this Invasion in the making. Bendis, I don't know what to do with you sometimes.

What If--? is a tribute issue to Mike Wieringo, a bittersweet one at that. Apparently Wieringo started this story but it was left sadly incomplete upon his death. His pages are here, and the rest of the book is completed by an impressive list of his colleagues. Art Adams, Stuart Immonen, Alan Davis, and Mike Allred are only a few notables in the book's stellar lineup of contributors. The story itself culls from one of my all time favorite FF Arcs (#347-349), Wieringo's pages, while few, remain as fresh as ever. We'll miss that guy.

Over in Fantastic Four proper... dammit. I said I wouldn't buy the single issues any more. But then I did.

Post a Comment