Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Gary Gygax

Gygax, a key creator of Dungeons and Dragons, has passed.

Seriously, other than Star Wars, D&D may have been the largest influence on my creative bents as I grew up. It played a huge role (neat pun) in forming my gaming and storytelling passions, and to this day is in my head as a standard to emulate. In videogames especially, you may not realize how just about every rule, random encounter, or text string in some way owes itself to the base rules of the Dungeons and Dragons system.

THACO, 3d6, +1 to bladed weapons, Chaotic Neutral, Keep on the Borderlands, Carrion Crawlers, and Charisma 18. It's all deep-seeded in the realm of the ubergeek, but damn if I don't love all of it. I know many of you do, too.

Read a nice write-up at C|Net, and hopefully many more to come.

Post a Comment