Wednesday, February 27, 2008

New Comics Day

Quite a boon this week for the artfully minded.

Fables
Some New Kind of Slaughter
Nexus
RASL
Savage Sword of Conan

I thought twice about picking up RASL, the new series by Jeff Smith. But then I looked inside. I wasn't apprehensive about anything like story or art, it was just the thought of starting a new series that I know will be collected. But Smith's art is so appealing and the curiosity of his Bone follow-up is high, so I think I'll pick up the first few issues at least just to drink it in. There's fist fights and gritty urban settings and... dimensional teleporting? Sold! And god damn, just look at that cover. That's one of the most striking first issue covers I've seen in some time.

I'm not a regular Fables reader, but I read the trades occasionally and do enjoy the book. This issue is worth special note because the interiors are by Niko Henrichon. Here in Fables it's a looser ink line than the stunning digitally painted pages of Pride of Baghdad, and goes a bit more with a Paul Smith vibe. Nice.

Nexus #100! What more do I need to say? It's a chunk of an issue, double sized. Equal parts new story and retrospective, it's been a long time coming but more than worth the wait. My congratulations (and admiration) go out to Steve Rude and Mike Baron for accomplishing this amazing milestone.

And what do you know, a second volume of Savage Sword of Conan! John Buscema and Alfredo Alcala is some kind of master pairing. Buscema is eternally top form, and the hatchwork inking by Alcala brings his work to another level entirely.

Post a Comment