Monday, September 17, 2007

The Big Drive: TX


I gotta tell you something I was recently told by one of my new colleagues, "There is a whole lotta Texas."

Man there is a whole lotta Texas. The 10 just goes on and on and on and on. I don't recall exactly when or where, but I made one of those aforementioned detours into a national park area. Paid $3.10 for gas at the town's only station, and watched a bunch of bikers pull in and then right back out when they couldn't pay with a credit card.

Back on the drive and it just kept on going. It was a nice time of year at least, tho I did hit a few showers. There were meandering hills, roads carved through rock, and long expanses of flat grasslands. I also stopped at a what I thought was a fairly large town/small city for lunch but noticed no cell phone reception to speak of...


When I got off the 10 I thought I was almost home, but I misread my map and realized I had a good 100 miles to go!!! But the last highway leading into Austin, Route 290, was a beautiful scenic route to take. Rarely two lanes for miles at a time, it was a long and at times curvy road cut through acres and acres of orchards. It was on this stretch I wish I had a sports car, because I saw maybe one other car every 20 minutes. For a while it was so empty I thought I might be lost, but the signs kept pointing the way. A few times it even slowed to one of those one-stoplight towns then picked right back up again.

Around 8:00 I finally got into the Austin area, with my crazy drive successful I was able to spend my first night in my new home. In all the drive was 1430 miles and about 23 hours? I don't necessarily recommend that, had I not been on an impromptu schedule to beat my movers I would have taken more time and possibly a friend. But I did have some awesome Retroforce Go podcasts to pass the time and plenty of music. It was dull at times but not as bad as I had thought. I'm not a commuter or even a "driver," most all of my prior road trips tend to end in Las Vegas. Still I'm glad it was a one time thing. Somewhere in the back of my mind I'd like to take a real road trip with no schedules or required destinations, but I guess like most folks it best saved for a time when I have no particular place to be.

Post a Comment