Wednesday, June 20, 2007

New Comics Day

Buncha books this week, mostly Marvel!

Incredible Hulk
Iron Man: Hypervelocity
Spider-Man Family
Spider-Man/FF
Shadowpact
Boneyard

World War Hulk was super cool, tho the tie-in issue of Hulk's own title is more of on the sidelines to the main conflict. It's mostly another point of view of Hulk's arrival with a bunch of characters who presumably are in the supporting cast. But I haven't read Hulk in a loooong time, even though I want to pick up the Planet Hulk trades.

The purchase of Spider-Man Family was solely for the lead story with art by my favorite French artist, Pierre Alary. But there is a nifty reprint of What If #1, "What if Spider-Man joined the Fantastic Four?" It's neat to see, even though I have the actual issue in my collection. Back in the day, What If was a damn cool book. At the time there was nothing like it, especially at Marvel. This was before Elseworlds and Marvel never really had the equivalent of DC's "imaginary tales," and Crisis on Infinite Earths was quite a ways off. Even after Crisis and I was buying back issues of What If for my first exposures, Marvel was pretty shy about alternate universes whereas DC was steeped in them. So those What If stories were quite a hoot!

Post a Comment