Monday, June 25, 2007

Don't listen to them, listen to me!

In a recent DC Nation column, editor Matt Idelson opines on the tribulations of being a comic book editor, noting the query as to ship a late book or find a fill-in team. But at the end he comes to the conclusion that you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Then he says something that raised an eyebrow, "How can we, the editors, please the most people?"

I think the answer is simple: Tell most people to fuck off.

An editor has the dubious responsibility to manage creative content, with varying degrees of influence on that content. There is no watermark, some under-utilize the influence, others abuse. This, however is not the issue at hand. When any person in a position of creative influence changes their aim to "please the most people," they lose. Pleasing the most people is best reserved for staples in life like providing clean water or affordable health care. But when an individual chooses to stray from a creative path to appeal to the masses, the result is a dilution of what made something attractive to begin with.

DC's comics as a whole already stew in mediocrity and carnivorous self-sustainment. But out of the dozens of books they publish, I as a reader have found the books I like, as have thousands of others. But I like those books for different reasons and as long as certain factors are in place I will continue to. If the management of those books changes to incorporate additions of broad appeal and lowest common denominators, my books loose what appealed to me and I will regrettably-- but easily-- drop them. A fill-in or a shipping delay rarely sways opinion to stick around if the alternative is to have Lobo or Wolverine show up in every issue.

ADDENDUM: Actually I kinda like it when Lobo shows up. So maybe you shouldn't listen to me after all X^O

Post a Comment