Wednesday, August 16, 2006

New Comics Day

A week of mostly DC and a couple Marvels.

52
Green Lantern Corps
Ion
Shadowpact
Next Wave
Claws









Ion is on the chopping block. Five issues in and it's nowhere near the cosmic mindfuck I dream it should be. Ron Marz knows his way around space, but I'm afraid this time out it's not doing it for me. I'm fairly forgiving when it comes to Green Lantern, tho in this "era" I find comics in this extended Green Lantern mythos is not where it could be.

Green Lantern Corps is faring better, due to the strength of some core elements:

  • The new Lantern Soranik Natu, her origin is so simple yet fascinating. Being of the race and planet that bore Sinestro, she holds a terrible burden and stigma that she can never escape.
  • The presence of Guy Gardner is very welcome, especially when his character is written true to form without apology.
  • Simple but intriguing plot twists serve both to move individual issues forward while contributing to a larger arc. Way too many comics on the shelves fail to do this effectively with the all-too-apparent trade-favored construction of mainstream books. Kudos to Dave Gibbons for continuing to impress me as much as a writer as he does as an artist.

I'd also like to note that Claws, a Black Cat/Wolverine team-up with art by none other than Joseph Michael Linsner is a welcome treat!

Post a Comment