Saturday, July 15, 2006

Scott Pilgrim! Finally!


I'm a little late on this one, sure. If, like me, you've spent some time in the comics blogosphere, you may have heard of this chap Scott Pilgrim. You may have heard it's the best thing since sliced bread, the books herald a new age of comics accessible to the everyman, and each are full of charm and verve that no mere mortal can resist.

It's all true.

"Scott Pilgrim, Scott Pilgrim, it's so great!" is all I ever seemed to hear about the book. So damned if I wasn't going to find out for myself. It actually took a bit of hunting to find Vol 1, Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life, because it was perpetually sold out at many fine establishments. But the good folk at Burbank's House of Secrets put one on order for me and I finally got my grubby little hands on it.

I tore thru it pretty quick, and then proceeded to tear thru it again. I had no idea what it was about, and each new chapter filled me with smiles like a rising thermometer on a hot afternoon.


The plot is simply protagonist Scott's trials as a young man who's fallen for a very strange and compelling girl-- but in order to be with her he must defeat her seven evil ex-boyfriends. And that detail isn't even revealed until 3/4 into the first book! Before that it's all about getting to know Scott and his friends, as subtle clues lead into the inherent strangeness of it all (I don't even know where to begin to describe, and would rather not spoil it for you).

Scott Pilgrim as a character is a wannabe rock star, struggling urbanite, videogame master, and fighting champion. He longs for simplicity but is mired in the complex. His friends flip a coin to love him or hate him, and his relationships with women (d)evolve from charming to outlandishly absurd.

In many ways, Scott Pilgrim is me.

At least, that's what I get out of it. That's how it got to me, through author Bryan Lee O'Malley's criminally accesible art, painfully obscure videogame references, and outright oddity of how much is packed into one man's story. No doubt other readers may identify more with Scott's other traits or those of his friends he pals around with, it's got alot of texture.

The next two volumes expand on this wonderful world and only leave you wanting more. I now join the ever-growing readership that waits patiently and eagerly for each new book. Pick it up folks, you won't be disappointed!

Scott Pilgrim on Amazon:
Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life
Scott Pilgrim Versus the World
Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness

ScottPilgrim.com
Bryan Lee O'Malley's web site, Radiomaru.


Enjoy!!

Post a Comment