Wednesday, May 03, 2006

New Crisis Day

OMG! Finite Crisis!!

Infinite Crisis
Supergirl
Y the Last Man
Rocketo


Well I went and read Crisis #7, so, spoilers:

It wasn't as bad as I'd expected, but it was still a tad on the ridiculous side. It also clears up once and for all what I have suspected all along: Geoff Jones has bamboozled us all and taken the reigns of an entire fictional universe. It's right there in the book! Witness these lines from Superboy Prime and draw your own conclusions.

Superboy Prime:
"You have to understand why I'm doing this!"

Superman:
"Understand, Superboy? You're willing to destroy everything and everyone to feel what? Special? Needed?"

Superboy Prime:
"I am special! I'm the only one who can rescue this messed up universe! I'm the only one who knows how to make it right!"

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Maybe. Anyways, Superboy (Conner Kent) is dead and alot of others are injured. Black Adam rips off Amazo's head, Bane breaks the back of some dude I don't recognize, some Green Lanterns bite it. Batman almost shoots Alex Luthor in the head but Wonder Woman convinces him not to. Bart Allen returns as the Flash but has used up all the speed force, and then declares that the only Flash left is-- Jay Garrick, the Golden Age Flash! Meanwhile, Superman and Earth 1 Superman fly Superboy Prime through the red sun of Krypton and subsequently beat the shit out of him. But not before Earth 1 Superman dies and Superman loses his powers from all the latent Kryptonite. Superboy Prime's fate is left a bit in the air, as he's only shown locked up by Green Lanterns. Oh, and the Joker shoots Alex Luthor several times, but off panel so we don't really know his fate. The book ends with Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman going on sabattical, and a teaser image of sorts of all the heroes that will be filling in. I have to admit the new Batwoman looks pretty sweet.

So that's Crisis. It's over and we can all get on with our lives. Crisis was obviously meant to bring in new readers and invigorate existing books as well as new titles. What I think has happened, for me, is that I've got a great excuse to buy less DC because I'm not nearly as vested in the characters as I once was. Crisis was an all-too-drawn-out event that was botched in more places than one, trying to recapture past excitement instead of creating something new. And in any number of years time, they're going to do it all over again.

Post a Comment