Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Comics Recap


Secret Files and Origins: Infinite Crisis
After all my lambasting about Infinite Crisis, why am I singling out this particular book? Because this one is good! Why? Oh, I don't know, maybe it's because it was written by Marv Wolfman and laid out by Dan Jurgens. Back at Wizard World LA, I ran into Marv Wolfman at the DC booth and had to tell him that his issue was the only one that made any damn sense, to which he humbly thanked me and said he was just glad they asked him to be a part of it. The book focuses on Alex Luthor and accomplishes what the Infinite Crisis books could not-- explain his motivations in a way that actually make you care. It's like some missing chapter of the whole IC debacle. While it has the luxury of an entire oversized issue to explore both Alex Luthor and Superboy Prime and how they came to be in the business of shaping universes, it no less shines a spotlight on how poorly crafted the actual IC books were. If, like me, you were looking for that one spin-off book that would shed some light on any kind of origin for Infinite Crisis, this is it.

As for a full review of the actual Infinite Crisis series, no one can express it better than Dial B for Blog's Infinite Crisis Review. It is a must read and I share the sentiments wholeheartedly.


52 #1
This was more enjoyable than I'd thought, altho my expectations were pretty low. I'm hoping Morrison has more of an influence than Johns, and some of that does peek through in the debut issue. And it's all about Booster Gold, whom I've always liked, so for the first few issues at least I'll keep checking in.


Supergirl #6
I really don't give a crap about the new Supergirl. For the record, I was quite a fan of Peter David's run and I do like the character, but the latest offering I wanted nothing to do with. I never found the new introduction interesting enough to follow Batman/Superman, and the sight of her rendered by Michael Turner or Ian Churchill turns my stomach. So why pick up this ish? Ed Benes.

I looooove Ed Benes. Always have. Hell, I worked with the guy way back when I was on Gen13 and couldn't figure out why he never reached that "superstar" tier of comics artists. That seems to have changed in the last year or so, as he's been seen more and more on high profile books. Superman, even! I mean Ed Benes on Superman? Way to go!

But we all know where he shines--- laying out the ladies. You can look at his pages and see he packs in as much as he can, knows when and when not to use backgrounds for effect, draws great action sequences, and is clearly an accomplished draftsman. Through all that he still draws some of the sexiest women in comics, and that's not a bad label to have. For all kinds of Benes Cheesecake, check out his blog, Edbenes. The Red Sonja and Madelyne Pryor pieces are exceptional!


Hawkgirl #51
I know Walt Simonson can craft a good story, though I don't really know where this one is heading One Year Later or not. For this book, it's the art, and Howard Chaykin kicks ass. When he's on it, he is on it.


American Virgin #3
The story is solid for being three issues in, but I got to say the draw so far is Becky Cloonan's art. It's a great match for the material and embodies one of the most important aspects of any new comic: accessibility. I don't know that it has the hook of Y the Last Man, but I'll stick with it for a while. In reality I'd much rather have seen this as a graphic novel. They're going to do that anyway, so I really don't know why Vertigo doesn't just cut to the chase. It is a risk, but if the product is good enough to be a Vertigo monthly, it's good enough to be a self contained book.

Post a Comment