Wednesday, October 26, 2005

New Comics Day

I didn't mean for it to be a big stack this week, but it just turned out that way.

Showcase: Green Lantern
JLA
JSA Classified
Marvel Monsters: Monsters on the Prowl
Solo: Michael Allred
Defenders
Silent Dragon
Loveless
Amazing Spider-Man
Strangers in Paradise
Jenny Finn


Those big-ass DC Showcase books, whotta deal. Especially Green Lantern, 500 pages of Gil Kane for 10 bucks-- in black and white-- are you kidding me? I don't lament the fact that it's in black and white, I freakin' love the fact that it's in black and white. It is gorgeous, and as an artist I learn far more from it than originals or old reprints with bad seps, or even the archive editions as nice as they are. Gil Kane as an artist sometimes falls into the realm of a buzzword for espousing about comics greats, but for me so many things I love about comics art starts and ends with him. I can go down a laundry list of equally influential and talented Kane peers, however if it takes one name to define the silver age... Kane remains at the top.

Addendum: After getting to spend a little time with the book, brushmasters Joe Giella and Murphy Anderson cannot be overlooked when paired with Kane. there is a crispness and a balance of black-to-white that is a product of its era, rarely seen or appreciated in today's four-color world of photoshopped rendering. I'm no stranger to the print process, and the fact that the film (or plates) was maintained and reproduced in such fine detail after all these years is nothing short of amazing. I know many of these stories have been reprinted before, but there is something about having them in this fatso format on just the right paper stock. A pig in slop I am, a pig in slop.

Post a Comment