Wednesday, September 14, 2005

New Comics Day

I went a whole week without posting! How terribly unfair to my legion of loyal readers. For now, amuse yourself with the contents of my weekly stack of books:

Matador
Kitty Pryde
JLA
Rann-Thanagar War
Majestic



Gosh I sure with there were more books to buy this week. My purchases are mostly art related... I got X-men out of my system a long time ago, so no matter how interesting the Kitty Pryde story is it still plays second fiddle to the fluid lines of Paul Smith. Hell of a guy, Mr. Smith, I'm quite fortunate to have spent some time with him and listened in awe to his many fantastic tales of the comic book biz. I was also a fan of Leave it to Chance, man, that was a great book. I wish it had gone on a bit longer.

Matador is a decent cop story, on par with an episode of any random television drama. The draw of course is pictures by Brian Stelfreeze, with a nod to the colorist as well, colors have really been setting apart the scenes in the book and have been complimentary to the art. Too many times an artist is overwhelmed by over-rendered colors and downright ignorance of light direction and (especially nowdays) mood. It's like most colorists don't even read the script, or more likely, aren't given the opportunity to. I'm talking mainly to you, Marvel, tho DC's secondary and tirtiary tier of books is not exempt.

Speaking of colors, I'll just throw out one of Marvels' saving graces: Justin Ponsor. I am a big fan of Jim Cheung, but I can't get behind Young Avengers at all. BUT, god damn that's a beautifully colored book, with duties by Ponsor. I'm sure Cheung is rushed to keep a monthly schedule and as such the issues I have seen contain sparse background work, if any. Ponsor, however, fills the empty space with lush renderings and textures, becoming part of the story itself when without it Cheung's pages, no matter how nice the figures are, would look noticeably bland. Let it never be said that a talented colorist is worth any less than the artists alongside them. Such a case may be made for letterers, too, since the vast majority of lettering in comics is well below par, but perhaps that is a subject for another time.

Post a Comment