Wednesday, May 11, 2005

New Comics Day

Somehow I've still got time to go buy comics.

Rann-Thangar War
Adam Strange
Green Lantern Rebirth
Wonder Woman
Star Wars Tales
Astonishing X-Men
Sidekicks Summer Special
Conan and the Jewels of Gwahlur
Action Comics

It's a sci-fi heavy week, with the much anticipated Rann-Thangar War and the next-to-last offerings featuring the DC Bullet. I originally did not plan to pick up Action Comics, but when John Byrne isn't actually writing or inking, he's tolerable! I doubt I'll stick with it, Superman just isn't interesting these days, and all I'm really waiting for is the Morrison/Quitely run.

My buddy came with me today to the store, and after leaving he remarked how he hadn't been to a comic store in such a long time and of our industry's latest offerings, "Wow, comics are completely inaccessible to anyone who doesn't read comics." If comics' plight were a lump of coal, that sentence synthesizes it into diamond clarity. I didn't even try to argue because he's completely right, and it's going to take more than a fancy new logo to convince people otherwise.

I'm sure there's a large segment of comics readership that is perfectly okay with the status quo, and don't see the need to convince anyone of anything. There is a small bit of virtue left there, but without launching into "how to save comics," this jist of it is that our beloved industry is stagnant, and the still water of comics is deep.

Post a Comment